Game Development: Introduction
I will be focusing on following questions for this post i.e. What are the purpose of games? Why do people develop games? What are some common types of games? What is Indie game development? What are the risk in this profession?
1) Gaming Enthusiasm.
Today's post is more theoretical and not coding base, but, its very vital to understand game development.
So, lets begin now.
What are the purpose of games?The purpose of the game serves different meaning from different perspectives which is mainly based on individual perception about it, but, some common meaning could be as follow:
1) People play games to kill time: This is the most common purpose for many people especially when they are alone and have nothing else better to do. Minion Rush, bubble trouble etc are some of very few examples.
2) People play games for Challenge: In order to forget their daily life problems and to challenge a friend or to their own self in some competition, this scenario is practiced commonly. Candy Crush, Mortal Kombat etc are some example.
3) People play games for adventure: In order to stay motivated in their lives, this scenario is also common. Tomb Raider, Assassin Creed etc are such examples.
4) People play games for education: It has often observed that many people's brain stimulate learning through observation i.e by seeing, observing, touching etc. This is because they have tendency of having visual or auditory base learning styles. So, they prefer learning by playing games e.g. keyboard typing tutor base games, puzzle solving base games ... etc.
5) People play games for simulating reality with fantasy: This is the most rare scenario in playing games. Usually this scenario is applied to large organizations could be government base organizations or to a group of people who wants to simulate reality with virtuality. It is difficult to achieve many things in reality then to achieve in virtuality. A very interesting study I would recommend on this topic i.e. Reality Is Broken by Jane McGonigal. Sims, Farmville etc are example of simulation base games.
Why do people develop games?Just like the reason of playing games. Game development also has its various reasons depending on individual's perspective. Following are some of reason.
1) Game Development is Fun & Artistics:Just like players, developers also find game development fun to do because it allows them to create a world, set rules and then play. for developer programing a visual object is more fun to develop then simply developing a program which is textual base or belong to a product that they as end users will never going to use. Game development is artistic and creative.
2) Game Development is Practical Application of Mathematics:When we study mathematics equations like projectile motion, newton's laws, gravity, differential equations in classroom 1 out of 50 students actually understands what the teacher is actually talking about, rest of the bunch are just struggling to pass the subject due to which mathematics has become the subject of least interest during student life. But, game development is mainly about mathematics, all those scary equations in classroom finally seems to have meaning, as in why we study mathematics with weird equations? Since, we only use addition, subtraction, multiplication & division in our daily lives. But, with game development, all those weird equations seem blessings to us as we otherwise will not be able to develop complex games which are very demanding in current century.
What are some common types of games?Games are categorized into many categories some of them are as follow:
1) Arcade Games.
What is Indie game development?Indie game development basically means Independent game development. Small group of people form teams to start their game development career instead of waiting to be hire by large well know organizations. This also leads to entrepreneurship ventures.
What are the risk in this profession?Despite of all fun in developing and playing games. Game development as a career choice is very risky. It depends entirely on the business model of the company. If company follow only product base game venture then revenue generation is a lot risky because revenue generation will be entirely depend on how well the game has done in market with all other competitors in mind. If the business model is only services base then developing games will eventually get boring because of the monotony it create. Usually, combination of product & service base architecture is follow by many organizations. A part from the risk of collapsing of company, game development as individual is also risky career choice mainly because it require too much time and effort to develop a game and output in terms of revenue might be very low also there are very few colleges and universities which offer practical development study of game development to students. So, if you opt to venture for game development as career then trust me you are on your own so, be prepared about it. Thats about it!!!
P.S: I do not own any of the images.